Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday, February 22: Ex-ray was in at 6:15am. Dad was restless this morning and his blood pressure is up and down. Nurse Holly laughed and said Dad's morning meds look like pea soup. I agree...ewww! She mixed meds and benefiber and uses a huge syringe to plunge it through his feeding tube.



Physical Therapy came in early and had to deflate Dad's air bed in order to turn him and get him to the edge of the bed to sit up. The right corner of Dad's right eye is really blood shot and his left eye has a yellow film over it. I asked the doctors about it and they said the right eye was probably caused from a broken blood vessel due to coughing and the left eye was just residual blood. Neither should cause alarm. They still look nasty. Mom arrived about 9:00am. I skipped church because the doctors came into talk to us right when I would have needed to leave. I cut for home about 10:30am. Gwen Petrowski pre-arranged to cover my Sunday School class this morning. Thank you Gwen!



Dad received a unit of blood today. He had another Paracentesis performed with another 5 1/2 liters removed! Arrghh!!! Dad was snoozing soundly after the procedure so Mom called and said she was coming to visit. I was excited because for once I could treat her to a meal. I had put a roast in when I got home then I took a long nap. Courtney added carrots when she got home around 1:00pm. I was just starting to make noodles when Mom called. She loves beef and noodles, so it is a good day. Mom headed back to the hospital about 6:00pm. Nurse Sue and Tech Christopher started their shift by removing Dad's temporary dialysis port. The doctors don't like to leave them in for a long duration as infection can occur. A new one will be placed on Monday before dialysis.



Mom creeped out a little after 9:00pm. Family acitivities kept me busy at home so I didn't get up to the hospital until after 10:00pm. I called Mom and when I walked back to the room Sue and Chris had the door closed. I checked with the desk supervisor and she called Chad, who was in the monitor room. They were shaving him and hadn't started his bath yet. I knocked and snagged my bag with Dave's laptop so I could chat with Kelsey and Courtney for a few minutes before bedtime. Dad was awake on and off through the night. Sue sat and visited for a few minutes during a break. She peeked in to say she leaving for lunch. Dad was getting kind of restless. I had his right wrist restraint off which is near his respirator tubes. He rested his hand on his forhead and rubbed his fingers across his eyes. I asked if he had a headache and he winced. Sue arranged for some Fentanyl and Nurse John came in to give that dose. I hate seeing Dad in a fog but really don't want him in pain either. It is better for him to rest at night so he is more alert for all of the crew in the daytime and for Mom.

No comments: