Thursday, February 19, 2009

McDonald's Coffee Club Missing Louie

Wednesday, February 18: Before Mom left for the hospital Dennis Daller brought her a card for Dad that all of Dad's friends from the McDonald's coffee club had signed. She stopped at Meijer and bought a dry erase board that Dad can use with better ease if he feels like writing.

PT arrived spunky as ever at 8:30am, to get Dad up and active. Patty the Dialysis Nurse peeked in and giggled as she saw the girls working with Dad. The PT's smiled and said, "We wanted to get in here and work with him before you tired him out with dialysis!" Those girls had him sitting up for 18 minutes! Thats about how long you would sit before you went and got a hot refill on your coffee! The PT's worked his legs and arms for a few minutes then let Patti at him with dialysis. Nurse Rob is awesome! He voiced his concern with the doctors about the breakdown of the skin around Dad's trach and his excoriated backside. Unfortunately, from being in bed for so long he has developed sores :( He gets slathered with SensaCare regularly. It is great to have male nurses because they can 'feel Dad's pain'! Since the doctors haven't identified any bacteria that requires Vancomycin, that is being stopped. He is still receiving other anitbioctics.

I returned Linda Alkema's call this morning to catch her up. Her husband Brad has also been sick and she has pneumonia! She said they along with JR and Carol Rosendal were bringing us supper on Thursday. She wanted to find out what night we were all home for dinner. I didn't think I was really all that tired but I slept a good share of the day away. I talked to Carol late this afternoon. I have been going to make homemade chicken noodle soup for a couple of days, but haven't made it to the store to get chicken. For once I don't have any in the freezer! I created enchiladas with some leftover roast and ground beef. Kelsey went straight to church from POMS and ate chicken fingers. Courtney ate with Dave and I before leaving for Club 56. She had to go to the medical library downtown afterward, then went to Ballroom Dancing at Calvin College. I called Mom around 9:00pm to tell her I had not even showered yet. She called back a short time later and told Kelsey they were washing Grandpa up and she was heading for home. Kelsey and I went to Meijer and spent $140.00 on groceries and still didn't get chicken! Hey, it was not on my kind of sale. I'll get it at Sam's. Kelsey is getting her lessons in this week. She had to wash her own gym clothes without me last night because I hadn't washed the load they were hiding in. Tonight she was counting the FREE items we were getting and guessed we had about $135.00 in groceries. I didn't get to the hospital until almost 11:30pm. Mom had been home for almost an hour. Mom has been boosting McDonald's bottom line keeping Murphy in cheeseburgers! Tonight the arches across from the hospital had a big line so she snuck thru on the Beltline just before closing.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

No comments: